Saturday, January 9, 2010

Can you really eat healthy on a budget?

Day 2

Eating at home continues! See what I spent today...

Breakfast - Oatmeal and an apple a bit later.

Cost - approximately $1.00
Convenient - yes

Lunch - mixed green salad with walnuts and cranberries, vinegar and oil dressing. And a pear.

Cost - approximately $2.25
Convenient - yes

Dinner - Swiss chard cooked with kidney beans, onions, cauliflower and cranberries with balsamic vinegar and oil and seasonings.

cost - $5.00 at the most. Made 3 servings. ($1.75 for one meal).
convenient - yes, just throw it in the pot and heat, plus now I have lunch for tomorrow.

Total cost for one for the entire day = $4.50

I will admit, that I am giving my best guess as to what one serving would cost. It is difficult to buy the exact amount for one serving which leads to my best guess. I believe that I am being generous with the numbers and in most cases cost less than what I am stating. So with a little effort it is looking like it is more affordable to eat at home. Can't wait to see how the rest of the week plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment